Variation of Parameters — Question 7

PDF ↗

Question 7

On t≥0t\ge 0, consider the family y″−y=11+t2,y(0)=0,y′(0)=v.y''-y=\frac{1}{1+t^2},\qquad y(0)=0,\quad y'(0)=v. Write f(t)=1/(1+t2)f(t)=1/(1+t^2) and I=∫0∞e−sf(s)dsI=\int_0^\infty e^{-s}f(s)\,ds. An answer containing a convergent definite integral is exact.

Tasks

  1. Use variation of parameters to express yvy_v as an integral. Prove that II converges.

  2. Find the only possible value of vv for which yvy_v is bounded on [0,∞)[0,\infty).

  3. For that value, rewrite the response using the positive kernel K(t,s)=sinh⁡(min⁡{t,s})e−max⁡{t,s}K(t,s)=\sinh(\min\{t,s\})e^{-\max\{t,s\}}. Prove boundedness and determine its sign for t>0t>0.

  4. Prove that the bounded response tends to zero, and determine the long-time behavior when the initial slope differs from the selected value.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 3-10-007
Show solutionHide solution

Question 7 – Solution

Strategy. Cancel the growing mode using a convergent integral, then prove the resulting tail expression is bounded.

Step 1: Construct the family. Variation of parameters with et,e−te^t,e^{-t} gives yv=vsinh⁡t+∫0tsinh⁡(t−s)f(s)ds.y_v=v\sinh t+\int_0^t\sinh(t-s)f(s)\,ds. Since 0<f≤10<f\le 1, 0<I≤∫0∞e−sds=10<I\le\int_0^\infty e^{-s}\,ds=1, with strict inequality I<1I<1.

Step 2: Identify the necessary slope. Expanding the hyperbolic sine yields e−tyv=v2(1−e−2t)+12∫0te−sf(s)ds−12e−2t∫0tesf(s)ds.e^{-t}y_v=\frac v2(1-e^{-2t})+\frac 12\int_0^t e^{-s}f(s)\,ds -\frac 12e^{-2t}\int_0^t e^sf(s)\,ds. The last term has magnitude at most (e−t−e−2t)/2(e^{-t}-e^{-2t})/2. Thus e−tyv→(v+I)/2e^{-t}y_v\to(v+I)/2. Boundedness requires v*=−I\boxed{v_*=-I}.

Step 3: Prove sufficiency and sign. Splitting the integral at s=ts=t and substituting v=−Iv=-I gives y*(t)=−∫0∞K(t,s)f(s)ds,K(t,s)={e−tsinh⁡s,s≤t,e−ssinh⁡t,s≥t.y_*(t)=-\int_0^\infty K(t,s)f(s)\,ds, \quad K(t,s)=\begin{cases}e^{-t}\sinh s,&s\le t,\\ e^{-s}\sinh t,&s\ge t.\end{cases} This identity follows by grouping the ete^{t} and e−te^{-t} terms above. Moreover, ∫0∞K(t,s)ds=e−t(cosh⁡t−1)+e−tsinh⁡t=1−e−t.\int_0^\infty K(t,s)\,ds =e^{-t}(\cosh t-1)+e^{-t}\sinh t=1-e^{-t}. Therefore |y*|≤1−e−t<1|y_*|\le 1-e^{-t}<1. For t>0t>0, the kernel and forcing are positive for s>0s>0, so y*(t)<0y_*(t)<0.

Step 4: Prove decay and sensitivity. Given ε>0\varepsilon>0, choose AA with f(s)≤εf(s)\le\varepsilon for s≥As\ge A. For t>At>A, the integral over [0,A][0,A] has magnitude at most e−t∫0Asinh⁡sds→0e^{-t}\int_0^A\sinh s\,ds\to 0; the remaining magnitude is at most ε∫A∞K≤ε\varepsilon\int_A^\infty K\le\varepsilon. Hence y*→0y_*\to 0. If v=v*+δv=v_*+\delta, then yv=y*+δsinh⁡ty_v=y_*+\delta\sinh t, so yv/et→δ/2y_v/e^t\to\delta/2. It tends to +∞+\infty for δ>0\delta>0 and −∞-\infty for δ<0\delta<0.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 3-10-007

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.