Triple Integrals in Cylindrical Coordinates — Question 8

PDF ↗

Question 8

Let EE be the solid between the paraboloid z=x2+y2z=x^2+y^2 and the cone z=2x2+y2z=2\sqrt{x^2+y^2}.

Tasks

  1. Determine the cylindrical bounds.

  2. Compute ∭EzdV\iiint_E z\,dV.

  3. Find the average value of zz on EE.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 4-6-008
Show solutionHide solution

Question 8 – Solution

Strategy. Find the nonzero intersection radius, then integrate zz between the radial graphs.

Step 1: Geometry The surfaces meet where r2=2rr^2=2r, so r=0r=0 or r=2r=2. On 0≤r≤20\le r\le 2, the cone lies above the paraboloid.

See the diagram in the original worksheet below.

Thus 0≤θ≤2π0\le\theta\le 2\pi, 0≤r≤20\le r\le 2, and r2≤z≤2rr^2\le z\le 2r.

Step 2: Integral of zz I=∫02π∫02∫r22rzrdzdrdθ=2π∫02(2r3−12r5)dr=16π3.\begin{align*} I&=\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^{2r}zr\,dz\,dr\,d\theta\\ &=2\pi\int_0^2\left(2r^3-\frac 12r^5\right)dr =\boxed{\frac{16\pi}{3}}. \end{align*}

Step 3: Average The volume is V=2π∫02(2r−r2)rdr=8π3.V=2\pi\int_0^2(2r-r^2)r\,dr=\frac{8\pi}{3}. Therefore zavg=I/V=2\boxed{z_{\mathrm{avg}}=I/V=2}. This lies between the solid’s minimum and maximum heights, 00 and 44.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 4-6-008

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.