Triple Integrals in Cylindrical Coordinates — Question 7

PDF ↗

Question 7

Let EE be the ball x2+y2+z2≤4x^2+y^2+z^2\le 4. Without using spherical coordinates, evaluate ∭E(x2+y2)dV.\iiint_E(x^2+y^2)\,dV.

Tasks

  1. Express the ball with cylindrical bounds.

  2. Evaluate the integral exactly.

  3. Check positivity and magnitude.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 4-6-007
Show solutionHide solution

Question 7 – Solution

Strategy. At fixed cylindrical radius rr, the sphere supplies symmetric upper and lower zz-bounds.

Step 1: Bounds Since r2+z2≤4r^2+z^2\le 4, 0≤θ≤2π,0≤r≤2,−4−r2≤z≤4−r2.0\le\theta\le 2\pi,\quad 0\le r\le 2,\quad -\sqrt{4-r^2}\le z\le\sqrt{4-r^2}.

See the diagram in the original worksheet below.

Step 2: Evaluate I=∫02π∫02∫−4−r24−r2r2(rdzdrdθ)=4π∫02r34−r2dr.\begin{align*} I&=\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{-\sqrt{4-r^2}}^{\sqrt{4-r^2}}r^2(r\,dz\,dr\,d\theta)\\ &=4\pi\int_0^2r^3\sqrt{4-r^2}\,dr. \end{align*} With u=4−r2u=4-r^2, r3dr=−(4−u)du/2r^3dr=-(4-u)du/2, so ∫02r34−r2dr=12∫04(4−u)u1/2du=6415.\int_0^2r^3\sqrt{4-r^2}\,dr =\frac 12\int_0^4(4-u)u^{1/2}du=\frac{64}{15}. Thus I=256π/15\boxed{I=256\pi/15}.

Verification The integrand is nonnegative and at most 44. Since the ball volume is 32π/332\pi/3, the required bound 0<I<128π/30<I<128\pi/3 holds.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 4-6-007

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.