Constant of Integration — Question 4

PDF ↗

Question 4

Suppose that ff is continuous on an interval II and that F′(x)=f(x)for all x∈I.F'(x)=f(x) \quad\text{for all }x\in I. Show that every solution of the differential equation y′=f(x)y'=f(x) has the form y=F(x)+Cy=F(x)+C for some constant CC.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 7-9-004
Show solutionHide solution

Question 4 - Solution

Let yy be any solution of the differential equation y′=f(x)y'=f(x) on the interval II.

Since F′(x)=f(x)F'(x)=f(x) and y′(x)=f(x)y'(x)=f(x) for all x∈Ix\in I, we have y′(x)−F′(x)=0for all x∈I.y'(x)-F'(x)=0 \quad\text{for all }x\in I.

Consider the function H(x)=y(x)−F(x).H(x)=y(x)-F(x).

Differentiate H(x)H(x): H′(x)=y′(x)−F′(x)=0for all x∈I.H'(x)=y'(x)-F'(x)=0 \quad\text{for all }x\in I.

Thus, H′(x)=0H'(x)=0 on II.

By the result that a function with zero derivative on an interval is constant, there exists a real number CC such that H(x)=Cfor all x∈I.H(x)=C \quad\text{for all }x\in I.

Substituting back gives y(x)−F(x)=C.y(x)-F(x)=C.

Rewriting, y=F(x)+C.y=F(x)+C.

y=F(x)+C\boxed{y=F(x)+C}

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 7-9-004

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.