Reduction of Order — Question 7

PDF ↗

Question 7

On ℝ\mathbb R, consider (1+t2)y″−2y=0(1+t^2)y''-2y=0 with known solution y1=1+t2y_1=1+t^2. Let y2y_2 denote the solution with y2(0)=0y_2(0)=0, y2′(0)=1y_2'(0)=1, and define I=y2/(1+t2)I=y_2/(1+t^2).

Tasks

  1. Use reduction of order to find y2y_2 explicitly. Evaluate the required integral.

  2. Verify the equation and the two normalization data directly.

  3. Find the exact range and monotonicity of I(t)I(t) on ℝ\mathbb R, including the limiting values at infinity.

  4. For every real CC, classify the finite zeros and the sign of yC=C(1+t2)−y2y_C=C(1+t^2)-y_2. Include the two boundary parameter values.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 3-5-007
Show solutionHide solution

Question 7 – Solution

Strategy. Divide the solution family by its positive seed so that zeros become level crossings of a monotone function.

Step 1: Construct the companion. The seed residual is 2(1+t2)−2(1+t2)=02(1+t^2)-2(1+t^2)=0. Since p=0p=0, I(t)=∫0tds(1+s2)2=t2(1+t2)+12arctan⁡t.I(t)=\int_0^t\frac{ds}{(1+s^2)^2} =\frac{t}{2(1+t^2)}+\frac 12\arctan t. The integral follows by setting s=tan⁡us=\tan u and integrating cos⁡2u\cos^2u. Hence y2=12t+12(1+t2)arctan⁡t.\boxed{y_2=\tfrac 12t+\tfrac 12(1+t^2)\arctan t.}

Step 2: Verify. We obtain y2′=1+tarctan⁡ty_2'=1+t\arctan t and y2″=arctan⁡t+t/(1+t2)=2y2/(1+t2)y_2''=\arctan t+t/(1+t^2)=2y_2/(1+t^2). The equation holds and the data are 0,10,1.

Step 3: Determine the ratio range. Since I′=1/(1+t2)2>0I'=1/(1+t^2)^2>0, the ratio is strictly increasing. Its limits are −π/4-\pi/4 and π/4\pi/4; neither is attained. Its range is exactly (−π/4,π/4)(-\pi/4,\pi/4) by continuity.

Step 4: Classify all parameters. The sign of yCy_C is the sign of C−I(t)C-I(t). If |C|<π/4|C|<\pi/4, there is exactly one finite zero, with positive values before it and negative values after it. If C≥π/4C\ge\pi/4, the solution is strictly positive everywhere; if C≤−π/4C\le-\pi/4, it is strictly negative everywhere. Equality in these last two cases does not create a finite zero because the limiting ratio levels are excluded.

See the diagram in the original worksheet below.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 3-5-007

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.