Change of Variables — Question 8

PDF ↗

Question 8

The unit cube 0≤u,v,w≤10\le u,v,w\le 1 is mapped into xyzxyz-space by x=u+v,y=v+w,z=w+u.x=u+v,\qquad y=v+w,\qquad z=w+u. Evaluate ∭E(x+y+z)dV\iiint_E(x+y+z)\,dV, where EE is the image parallelepiped.

Tasks

  1. Compute the three-dimensional Jacobian and establish invertibility.

  2. Evaluate the transformed integral.

  3. Verify using the image volume and centroid.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 4-8-008
Show solutionHide solution

Question 8 – Solution

Strategy. A nonsingular linear map sends the unit cube to a parallelepiped with constant volume scale.

Step 1: Jacobian and geometry

See the diagram in the original worksheet below.

J=∂(x,y,z)∂(u,v,w)=∣110011101∣=2.J=\frac{\partial(x,y,z)}{\partial(u,v,w)} =\begin{vmatrix}1&1&0\\0&1&1\\1&0&1\end{vmatrix}=2. Because J≠0J\ne 0, the linear map is invertible and covers its image once.

Step 2: Transform the integrand We have x+y+z=2(u+v+w)x+y+z=2(u+v+w) and dV=2dudvdwdV=2\,du\,dv\,dw. Therefore I=∫01∫01∫014(u+v+w)dwdvdu=4(12+12+12)=6.\begin{align*} I&=\int_0^1\int_0^1\int_0^1 4(u+v+w)\,dw\,dv\,du\\ &=4\left(\frac 12+\frac 12+\frac 12\right) =\boxed{6}. \end{align*}

Verification The image volume is |J||J| times the cube volume, hence 22. The cube centroid (1/2,1/2,1/2)(1/2,1/2,1/2) maps to (1,1,1)(1,1,1), where x+y+z=3x+y+z=3. A linear function averages to its centroid value, so I=(2)(3)=6I=(2)(3)=6.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 4-8-008

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.