Logarithm Functions — Question 6

PDF ↗

Question 6

The intensity II of an earthquake is measured on the Richter scale using the formula: R=log⁡10(II0)R = \log_{10} \left( \frac{I}{I_0} \right) where RR is the Richter magnitude and I0=10−4I_0 = 10^{-4} is the reference intensity.

  • (a) If an earthquake has intensity I=10−1.5I = 10^{-1.5}, what is its magnitude RR?

  • (b) If an earthquake has a Richter magnitude of R=6.2R = 6.2, what is its intensity II?

  • (c) How many times more intense is an earthquake of magnitude 7.2 compared to one of magnitude 5.2?

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 1-8-006
Show solutionHide solution

Question 6 - Solution

(a) Compute the magnitude RR: R=log⁡10(10−1.510−4)=log⁡10(102.5)=2.5R = \log_{10} \left( \frac{10^{-1.5}}{10^{-4}} \right) = \log_{10}(10^{2.5}) = \boxed{2.5}

(b) Find the intensity for R=6.2R = 6.2: R=log⁡10(I10−4)⇒10R=I10−4⇒I=10R⋅10−4R = \log_{10} \left( \frac{I}{10^{-4}} \right) \Rightarrow 10^R = \frac{I}{10^{-4}} \Rightarrow I = 10^R \cdot 10^{-4} I=106.2−4=102.2≈158.49I = 10^{6.2 - 4} = 10^{2.2} \approx \boxed{158.49}

(c) Compare intensities of magnitudes 7.2 and 5.2:

Let I1I_1 and I2I_2 be the intensities corresponding to magnitudes 7.2 and 5.2, respectively.

log⁡10(I1I0)=7.2⇒I1=107.2⋅I0,log⁡10(I2I0)=5.2⇒I2=105.2⋅I0\log_{10} \left( \frac{I_1}{I_0} \right) = 7.2 \Rightarrow I_1 = 10^{7.2} \cdot I_0,\quad \log_{10} \left( \frac{I_2}{I_0} \right) = 5.2 \Rightarrow I_2 = 10^{5.2} \cdot I_0

I1I2=107.2⋅I0105.2⋅I0=107.2−5.2=102=100\frac{I_1}{I_2} = \frac{10^{7.2} \cdot I_0}{10^{5.2} \cdot I_0} = 10^{7.2 - 5.2} = 10^2 = \boxed{100}

So the magnitude 7.2 earthquake is 100 times more intense than the 5.2 earthquake.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 1-8-006

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.